February 5, 2010

Sewing Spring...

A whole lot is going on these days, but since I have been kicked by a creative/ sewing muse, I am spending every minute possible at my little sewing corner or in the kitchen.
So what did I do?

( I need to catch up with picture taking.)

- more mindless sewing
- baby quilt almost finished
- quilt top that was planned for a long time
- and another quilt top in progress

It still snows here and even more snow is expected, but I have been longing for spring for some time now. That is how this project started.

Can you find a dog in this picture?



I told you, I was busy...



I have found some new for me inspiring blogs that I would like to share. One of them (and the one I browsed all yesterday and this early morning) is Craftykin I found her through Mary Beth's post.
Hanna inspired me to bake my own bread and make my own yogurt yesterday.



For the bread, I used Hanna's no-rise recipe (look for it on her sidebar). I opted for 4 cups of white flour and 2 cups of whole wheat. Next time, I will try either much less wholewheat flour or none since it made a bread quite heavy.
For the yogurt, I am going to try it again. I know it is supposed to be runny compared to store bought yogurt, but how do I know if mine is too runny or not (reminds me consistency of a banana milk shake). Any thoughts?
Also, I read that sour taste of yogurt depends on how many hours it sits (3.5 hours less sour, 5 hours more sour). I am going to try this again and let it sit less hours to compare the taste.
I can't wait to try both o them again and find ways to make these regulars.

Also,
I have been nominated by my sister for a blog award.



I should pick another five blogs to pass this on. How can I do that? There is way too many gorgeous blogs in my reader.
maybe I can pick some that I was inspired by recently.
1. Craftykin, I don't think this one needs more explanation.
2. Salt and Chocolate, for making me hungry whenever I learn about another yummy recipe she tried.
3. Quilted Simple, for joining me in eliminating buying new fabric, so we can be using what we have
4. Bumble Beans, for inspiring me to play with color.
and
5. Sunflower Quilts, for reminding me that quilting/sewing with friends is much better.

8 comments:

QuiltedSimple said...

That will be a lovely quilt -are those vintage sheets? I've never had success at all making yogurt - alhtough I should keep trying. And THANK YOU SO MUCH for the award!!!!
Kris

Jennie said...

Thank you so much for the award!! I love to make my own bread and yogurt. The longer you let the yogurt sit the thicker and more flavorful it becomes! I let mine sit for 7-8 hours and it's wonderful!
~ Jennie

Mary Beth said...

Thank you so much for the award, Michela! I'm very flattered. I love Hanna's blog as well! My bread was dense and heavy too, but I love it that way (I have another no-knead recipe you may like for a much lighter loaf, let me know. You can still add half whole wheat and it's very light). Also, I had the same problem with Hanna's yogurt being very thin--my subsequent batches were even worse, so I'm moving on . . .

hanna said...

Thankyou so much for your award and all your kind words!
My bread recipe is very grainy, but it should be light at the same time, if that makes sense, yours does look particularly dense, perhaps you need to add the oats next time, and maybe leave it to rise longer, I often mix mine up in the morning and don't bake it till dinner time. Also, make sure your yeast isn't old and has lost it's rising power.
Also - the yoghurt - it shouldn't be runny at all, this means it hasn't worked. It should be thick, almost jelly-like. The problem is probably not enough warmth. I tried to make some in winter here, in my hot water cupboard and it didn't set but I have been making it recently (summer here now) and it is working perfectly. The jar should still feel quite warm when it is finished.
I hope this helps,do let me know how you get on :)
xx
Hanna

Danielle said...

love the new layout and the new piecing of fabric.... poor Sal. Although it looks as if he rather likes the attention. Love Mr.Owl! he now resides perched at the top of Karmen's hutch watching over her as she sleeps. I so miss spring, it's driving me crazy not to be able to see the ground... to make it worse we are supposed to have some of the best (woodland) wild flowers in the area, in OUR subdivision!!! Spring will be taunting me forever it seems.

Becky said...

Yum...homemade bread! (It's oddly appropriate that the security word of the moment is "ovenies!") And the quilt looks like it will be lovely.

2miracles/Tove said...

I like you blog , your quilts are beautiful. i love your owls that are so cute. the owl is actually what brought me to your page I was on another blog and I saw your little owl icon in the comments and decided to check out your blog.

BuggletQuilts said...

I love your vintage sheets quilt!!! I hope to see it in person soon.