January 4, 2010

One last finish of 2009...

I had this quilt top done for almost two years , well without the appliqué on it. It all started when I decided it's time to learn how to quilt my own finished tops and was looking for some inspirational quilting patterns. This way before I even tried free motion quilting, so an interesting straight lines, that was all I was looking for. I flipped through a book in Borders (I don't remember exactly, but it could be Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts) where I found the inspiration for this one. There is not much of a pattern, but I loved the quilting of the one in the book, which was a simple square spiral starting in the middle going to the sides of the quilt.



Unfortunately, you can't see it on the pictures for two reasons mainly. One, the pictures were taken with my phone and two, the fabric in the middle is re-purposed window treatment and therefore was washed many times already, which explains the lack of crinkles. However, I loved the way this turned out, but for whatever reason this quilt sat unfinished for two years. It was sometimes in September when I realized that it would be a perfect fit for my future mother-in-law's living room. I made these two pillows for her last year for Christmas.



So the only thing I had to do was somehow marry the quilt to the pillows. I decided for yo-yo flowers appliqué. The stem is a simple vintage ric-rac which I bought about a year ago in the thrift shop and the leaves are from left over fleece that I used two winters ago for our dog's coat. Backing fabric is one of many given to me by friends and family of some past quilters and binding was another thrift store find from about two years ago.



I love when my thrifted purchases wait and find their perfect place one day.
So, I guess this quilt could count in for my challenge except it was done in 2009.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Nanette Merrill said...

I love simple and I love repurposed. What a great project.